Thursday, October 10, 2013

Another car post

 About a week ago, I made a purchase. A car. Yes, a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
Top Left: The car posing. Top Right: Leaks.
Bottom: Headlights after toothpaste!
V6 Engine. I got what I paid for, but that is alright. There is a lot of work needed to be done to the car, from exterior work, to interior, and down to the engine. Instead of being scared and upset by it, I am excited that I got a "project" car.  A car where I can do whatever I want to it. Let it speak for me, and represent my creativity. I have a lot of ideas that I want to do to this car however, before I get started with all of these decorations and whatnot, I have the engine to worry about. The car is 12 years old, and has ran about 124,000 miles; which is not bad for a 12 year old car, considering it has traveled approximately 12,000 miles per year. Anyways, there are leaks around the oil valves which connects it to the intake manifold (where the car gets oil), which is then connected to the engine. I tried fixing it up a bit but I don't have the tools and time to do it, thus bringing it to a mechanic is the best approach. The car runs, I can tell you that. But I would just prefer to be on the safe side if anything.

So far, I have done some fixations on the car. I was able to fix the broken hood latch in the back by attaching a string of nylon that can be pulled to release the lock whenever it needs to be opened. Also, I have installed the temporary license plate on the bottom left corner of the car for style. I also wired an LED bar light on the interior to made it look better. The coolest adjustment I did for this car was taking the yellowing of the headlight out with toothpaste. Overtime, the plastic on the headlight oxides from the head and the humidity of the air. So scrubbing it with toothpaste is a great idea to leave your headlights shiny; it also leaves it minty fresh!

1 comment:

  1. My dad had a 2003 Jetta which is in mostly good condition. He recently bought a 2012 Jetta which is so much nicer. But VW makes some quality cars so hopefully your's can last several more years.

    ReplyDelete